Chocolate cake. One of my most favourite things on the planet. You cannot beat a good chocolatey cake.
I was in search of a vegan chocolate cake, which had no eggs and no added diary, and came across this recipe.
We made it a little family affair to make this cake and had many hands on deck (the grandparents, my son and myself) – baking rules! There is something about it that fills you with happiness… and the smell throughout every room in the house is magical.
We changed the recipe slightly to incorporate even healthier options and went with the extremely easy ‘cup system’ of measuring. However I have added below the grams too, just in case you find that easier.
One word, 4 letters – MEGA!!!!!
- Chopped dark chocolate ( 1/2 cup | around 140g)
- Coconut cream (1/2 cup | 120ml) we used concentrated coconut cream (which we melted in a pan)
- Add the coconut cream to a pan and bring that to just under a boil
- Put the coconut cream into a bowl and add the chopped chocolate
- Mix well until it is smooth
- Allow it to cool completely and put that in the fridge for an hour or 2, or until required
- Spelt flour (1.5 cups | 190g)
- Dark cocoa powder (3 tbsp)
- Sugar (1 Cup | 200g)
- Baking soda (1 tsp)
- Himalayan salt (1 pinch)
- Oil (1/4 Cup | 60ml)
- Water (1 cup | 235ml)
- Vanilla essence (2 tsp)
- White vinegar (1 tbsp) or lemon juice (1 lemon)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- Grease your baking pan (9×9 with oil or line it baking paper
- Sieve and add the spelt flour, baking side, salt and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl and whisk that together
- In another bowl add the sugar, vanilla essence, oil, white vinegar / lemon juice and water and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved
- Add the liquids to the other bowl and mix / whisk that until it is completely combined
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan (it may look a little running but that’s fine)
- Bake the cake for about 35-40 mins
- Allow the cake to cool completely
Storage (and the best ways of eating it)
- You can store the cake in the fridge, if you like your cake to have a solid chocolate topping that you need to smash through (YUM!!! Gotta love those chunky bit of chocolate)
- Room temperature if you like it a little softer
- My favourite – store it in the fridge and when you are ready to eat it chuck it in the microwave for 30 seconds until it starts to melt – AMAZZZZZZZZZZING. Total heaven! (Check the last photo)